The Quartier du Mercadio
(or Egg Market) is near the bridge. A long time ago, eggs were sold there,
this was an ancient market, outside the village walls. Mention is made of
several houses being there in the XVth century.
At the foot of the cliffs on which stand the Old Church and the Chastel-Vieih
there was a watermill worked by water brought by a mill race, fed by a small
weir just below the bridge. The old ferry crossed the river just above this
Queen Jeanne's Tower, Toussaint's Tower or Tournelle
This stands on the cliffs overlooking the Peyrefroide torrent, at the beginning
of the road to Uzer. It was an advanced defence post and was probably built
as …a look-out tower in the Middle Ages. Its name reminds us of the passage
of Jeanne de Balazuc, a woman of great personality, in the XVIth century.
The Chapel of Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes
By the road, leading to the village stands a votive chapel, which recalls the
terrible epidemic of cholera which ravaged the region in 1884 but spared the
people of Balazuc.
A superb view-point overlooking the beginning of the canyon and the Ardèche
river. Opposite is the hamlet of Servières, a peaceful place between
the oak-covered hills and river pools rich with fish, below the cliffs of Cote
The Mas de Servières, an old dwelling, is mentioned in the oldest documents
Hamlet of Vieil Audon
was completely abandoned during the 19th century. During the last 25 years it
has been partially restored by the association "Eco-Village du Vieil Audon".
It is a holiday centre for the young who help to restore it. Goats are bred
there and produce excellent cheese
The Old Railway Station
The railway line from Le Teil to Alès was opened in 1876 with a railway
station at Balazuc but 2km from the village.
Until 1950 the traffic was important for the economy of the region. The line
was closed in 1969.
The Farm of Largelas
On the plateau of Les Gras about 3km from the village, stands an isolated farm,
surrounded by walls. This represents a traditional farmhouse in a vast and mostly
Château de la Borie
Between Balazuc and Pradons, in this castle were signed two peace conventions
between Catholics and Protestants at the end of the 16th century.
The Ferry across the Ardèche
Before the bridge was built, there was a ferry to cross the river. On the right
bank can be seen the paved path leading to a landing place, still well preserved.
Built in 1884. Access was via the "Chemin Royal" from the upper village and
via the Sand Quarry Gate from the lower part of the village before the use of
the actual road. On September 2nd 1890 the bridge resisted an exceptionally
high flood tide which came over the bridge.
high flood tide in 1992
HAMLET BY THE BRIDGE
level of the high flood tide, above the bridge, in 1890